For some reason, I felt like making a kumara (sweet potato) based dish for a potluck recently. After pondering on what to make for a few days, this idea popped into my mind.
It’s really simple but can be a little time consuming so be warned! 🙂
- 3 kumaras (3 different types – red, orange and golden)
- 2 cans coconut milk or cream
- Brown sugar / coconut sugar / maple syrup
- Assorted nuts
- Coconut oil
- Steam kumara until you can poke a chopstick easily through
- Smash them in separate bowls
- Pour the coconut milk into a big bowl
- Add Cinnamon and sugar to taste
- Grease your hands with coconut oil and roll one tablespoon of kumara at a time into a ball, placing a nut in the middle
- Tip: I had to re-grease my hands with a little more oil before rolling each new ball or they’d start to stick to my hands!
- Add balls into the sweet cinnamon-coconut milk mixture
- Enjoy this dessert both cold or warm!
- Cold – for the potluck I just kept it in the fridge until dinner was over before serving
- Warm – I haven’t tried this yet but I bet it’ll taste just as good or even better than cold!
- You’d have to heat up the coconut milk before adding the balls in separately. Or just dish out the balls in individual bowls first before pouring the warm milk over them!
At the potluck, I was asked if this was a hometown dish and could not think of any similar dishes at the time. However, later that evening when I sent these pictures to my family, my sister immediately associated it with Bubur Cha Cha!
Maybe I was subconsciously reminiscing those nice warm bowls of Bo Bo Cha Cha I used to love after dinners at food courts or coffee shops when I was back in Singapore! 😄
Well, I guess this is a Kiwi version of that then!
By the way, Kumaras are called sweet potatoes in SG. And a Taro is called a Yam. 😉
What do you think of this recipe? Any tips would be much appreciated! Comment below!
P.s Do you like Kombucha?
For a limited time only, get an EXTRA discount off the already discounted prices of Organic Mechanic kombuchas when you use code “JOHN300” (for 300mls) or “JOHN750” (for 750mls) here! Free shipping within Auckland!
We’re also on Grabone for this month!
Our Kombuchas are the perfect alcohol-alternative for your parties, potlucks, and gatherings. The original “liquid gold” ginger flavor is great for this winter weather but my favorite is still the lavender blackcurrant which reminds me of my childhood days drinking Ribena… except this one is almost sugar-free and a great probiotic drink that does wonders for your health!
You can read more about the benefits of Kombucha here!